As the showrunner of a book club myself, I recognize book club game when I see it. Which is why we’re so excited for the September monthly graphic novel club at Comix Experience, because they get to read and discuss Sacred Heart by Liz Suburbia.
As the oldest comic book store in San Francisco, Comix Experience curates one of the most diverse stores I’ve ever seen. So it’s no surprise that their monthly book clubs are such a success. They host an in-person and digital book club that boasts several hundred members coming together to share and discuss some of the most important releases of the year. This month, Liz Suburbia will be joining them digitally from Reno to discuss her unique take on a coming-of-age story in her Fantagraphics debut, Sacred Heart.
From Comix Experience:
Every month, Comix Experience’s talented staff use our passion and experience to choose the single best brand new graphic novel to give you. This book will always be either a stand-alone experience, or the first volume of a new series. As a member of the club, you’ll also be entitled to unique benefits that won’t be offered to anyone else:
- A curated selection of the best new graphic novel each month.
- Monthly live book club meeting and social event to discuss that book. We record and stream the in-store meeting so club members all over the world can also participate.
- Writers and artists of each of our picks participate in our monthly club meetings, (e.g. in person, speaking and doing a live event, or a video chat to answer questions). Check out the video of the in-store meeting with ILYA in July 2015.
- Exclusive club-only invitations to attend a private after-hours in-person, in-store appearances by authors and artists
- Social media group for members to discuss the book internationally.
- Nice swag (like posters or bookmarks) for the selected book wherever possible
If you want to be involved, but don’t live in San Francisco, don’t worry! Their global reach makes it so anyone can participate. Check out their website for ways to join.