Fantagraphics Books, an internationally renowned publisher of graphic novels and art books, has a rare opening for a Graphic Designer. We are currently open to part time and full-time applicants. While the Fantagraphics headquarters is located in Seattle, Washington, this is a remote, work-from-home position and applicants based anywhere are eligible to apply. Our Design Department consists of a three-person team that meets virtually. The position is a minimum of 24 hours/week, Monday – Friday, up to 40 hours. Specific hours and days are flexible.
What we’re looking for:
• A thorough knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop required. Any other programs are a plus.
• Strong layout and typographic sensibilities.
• Experience with print production and book layout strongly preferred, as well as a strong graphic sensibility for cover design.
• Detail oriented in your work and in your ability to track change requests and stay on top of deadlines.
• Work well independently as well as with the various personalities of editors, artists, and authors, taking in and utilizing feedback.
• Ability to find unique, engaging solutions that respect and adhere to the vision of the artists we package.
Your primary role as a Designer will be producing books (laying out both templated books and creating original interior and cover designs). You will also design ads (print and web), postcards, posters, etc. You will need to be a nimble designer, capable of solutions on a quick turnaround and able to maintain a steady workload. You will be responsible for sending press ready files to printers, so pre-press skills are a plus.
This is a creatively satisfying, independent position with colleagues who are passionate about the work. An interest in comics is helpful but not critical.
Please email a brief resumé/cover letter with relevant links or a low-res PDF of your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org