Get yourself SO READY for Fantagraphics at the new, hip one day show in Portland, Oregon this weekend called Linework NW that is absolutely free to attend! From 2-9pm Linework NW will be open at Norse Hall at 111 NE 11th Ave. You'll find the Fantagraphics table (#18) RIGHT next to Jim Woodring's for all your signing needs! We'll have all the Multiverse titles you've been craving plus Woodring's sketchbook, Problematic. Julia Gfrörer will also be at Linework, right as you walk in the door (in teal below). If you see a copy of Black is the Color on her table or ours GRAB IT* because it is sold out. Julia is also signing at our table from 5:30-6:30pm.
There are more parties than show practically at Linework. Thursday night is Edie Fake's presentation and siging for her new book, Memory Palaces at Floating World. The Opening Party is at Reading Frenzy on Friday, April 11, 7:00pm featuring Jim Woodring and Michael DeForge. After the show on Saturday is the Closing Party at Em Space: Saturday, April 12, 9:00 pm. And then finally on Sunday, April 13th at 7pm Gridlords will be performing along with Julia Gfrörer at Holocene Portland.
• 4:30pm Release Party (Greig Lounge) Some of today's best cartoonists reveal their exciting new projects scheduled for 2014….and Beyond! With Farel Dalrymple, Julia Gfrörer, Sam Alden, Tom Neely and Benjamin Marra. Moderated by Sam Marx.
• 5:30pm Super Real (Greig Lounge) Explore the surreal worlds of Special Guests Jim Woodring and Michael DeForge. In conversation with Cameron Snyder.
Two butchers arrive at work to find their shop empty of meat and their minds empty of how to do their job. As customers arrive, events become increasingly disastrous. A surreal, debut graphic novella of horror and humor with one huge, hanging question. This often hilarious, enigmatic, and uncomfortable book establishes Stechschulte as an exciting new talent.
• Buddy Buys a Dump The Complete Buddy Bradley Stories from "Hate" Comics Vol. 3 (2000-2013) by Peter Bagge
He's back! Now in his 30s and married with child, onetime slacker hero Buddy Bradley gets a "real" job, shaves his head, dons an eyepatch, quits his "real" job and buys the local dump – because what better place to raise a toddler? Peter Bagge's iconic character is to alternative comics what Homer Simpson has been to television animation over the past quarter-century: a generation-defining slacker and the greatest comedic character of its form and era.
This 32 page floppy comic is a sweet & sour, sad & funny story that follows the adventures of Annie and Verti as they shoot homemade movies for YouTube, guerilla-style, and face some unexpected consequences. What could possibly go wrong? A one-shot dose of humor and melancholy from the creator of New School, BodyWorld, and Bottomless Belly Button.
• The Complete Peanuts 1950-1952 Vol. 1 (paperback) by Charles M. Schulz This first volume, covering the first two and a quarter years of the strip. Three major cast members – Schroeder, Lucy, and Linus – initially show up as infants and only "grow" into their final "mature" selves as the months go by. Even Snoopy debuts as a puppy!
So come on by this fantastic FREE show this Saturday and say hi to me, I'll be sling all those hot Fantagraphics' titles you've been waiting for!
* and pay for Black is the Color or I will hunt you down.